So with the tree, I started thinking it might be good to have a deployment that doesn’t depend on XBee. It’s a pain to have the XBee radio attached to the phone and it would be nice to hand over control to someone else’s phone. I’ve known about the Bluetooth to XBee converters and actually ordered a couple last year but didn’t have a reason to check it out until now. Unfortunately I have an old undocumented version I got from EBay. A little testing and serial magic and I have it configured and communicating with the laptop. Next is some testing with the XBee APIs to see if this is indeed drop in replaceable. Also, need to see if we can use the iPhone app on non-jailbroken phones using the BLE4 standard. But that will require a better part.