Started diving into the controller phone portion of the project. Lots of ups and downs. The Processing path (which I have some code working already for) is not going to work. There are too many unknowns here as far as the integration of the environment in Android and its use of the serial port. I was under the impression that there was much more serial port development out there for Android and I was seriously mistaken.
So the path takes the form of another interface board that was recently released. IOIO. I think this will work but will take some development work. Someone is already working on a port of the XBee API api to be able to be used with IOIO and I’ve contacted him to get an update.
In the meantime, I’ve gotten the Android SDK loaded and starting the run process of building Android apps in Eclipse. Hello World is done. I’m going to start porting all of the java code I wrote in Processing over to this path.